Thursday, March 15, 2012

Julian Rocks

15 years ago this March, my friend Doc Russell and I visited an historically significant secluded place called Julian Rocks, up Stony Creek in western Glenn County, California. I recently found those 35mm negatives, so here they are! The Kodak Cameo Zoom was holiday gift in late 1994. The camera was a pretty decent performer considering how easy it was to use.
Julian Rocks on Stony Creek, Glenn County, CA, Andrew D. Barron©3/1997
With Doc Russell at Julian Rocks on Stony Creek, Glenn County, CA, Andrew D. Barron©3/1997
Julian Rocks was a favorite swimming hole in years gone by before flood control structures and ownership made the location inaccessible. We wrote an article for the local history publication called Wagon Wheels Vol.48 No.2, 1998. I found out later that one of these photographs ended up in a later work by Doc Russell, The Land of Orland, appearing on p.112, viewable here. In 1998 I put up this page, now modified to include these better scans.
Julian Rocks on Stony Creek, Glenn County, CA, Andrew D. Barron©3/1997
Julian Rocks on Stony Creek, Glenn County, CA, Andrew D. Barron©3/1997
Julian Rocks on Stony Creek, Glenn County, CA, Andrew D. Barron©3/1997
Julian Rocks on Stony Creek, Glenn County, CA, Andrew D. Barron©3/1997
With a picture of me from the same roll, I am pointing to Julian Rocks. Not long after this, I ended up working at the USGS in Menlo Park.
Andrew points to Julian Rocks on the map, Andrew D. Barron©3/1997

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive