Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hasselblad Hodge Podge

I’ve been eager to share my film photographs here lately, but this time I will start with a few from the digital infrared.
Clouds above, Andrew D. Barron©5/4/12
Stop by, you're welcome any time, Andrew D. Barron©5/4/12
How many times have I taken this picture? I would guess fifty or sixty.
Sunset on the marsh, Andrew D. Barron©5/4/12
Stepping back to late last December, here are Sisters Rocks.
Sisters Rocks along 101 near Ophir, Andrew D. Barron©12/24/11
(Tiffen red #25 and borrowed Nikkor 35mm/f2.0)

I spent a little time at Lobster Creek bridge in the summer of 2010 with my first dslr. Seems like a million years ago. Here is a shot from below the bridge back then followed by two film shots from the bridge last December. I almost forgot what a respectable camera the d5000 was before conversion. I reprocessed this to 5:4 tonight:
Lobster Creek bridge at the Rogue, Andrew D. Barron©8/28/10
These 35mm pictures seem like half a million years ago. Here is a nice pair captured between film changes:
Metamorphic rocks at the confluence of Lobster Creek and the Rogue, Andrew D. Barron©12/24/11
I really love Velvia 50, but it may be a little too slow and lacking in shadow detail for this area:
Metamorphic rocks at the confluence of Lobster Creek and the Rogue, Andrew D. Barron©12/24/11
You can review some relevant beginnings here.

Lately I’ve noticed a shift away from pushing photography forward into a much more comfortable state. Instead of asking myself what I am I doing next, I see that, thanks to film, it has become “okay, what did I do?”

I should have been methodical with the Hasselblad. First off, the 1971 Hasselblad that I have been using is labeled 500c, but is in fact an early unmarked 500c/m. This means it has an easily removable and interchangeable focusing screen. So, the taking of notes: I cannot emphasize this failing of mine enough. It has been a long long road for me to slow down. There are some crushing realities; several rolls are incomplete. What happened? I got 71 frames out of 84, so there is something definitely wrong. I got one accidental double exposure. In 21 rolls of 120 film, I should know what is wrong with with what lens, etc., but I don’t. This is a recent shot on Porta 400:
Rope descent at Devil's Backbone, Andrew D. Barron©4/30/12
Here is a shot from old Dolomite Mine Road last January:
Ocotillo at sunrise, Coyote Mountains, Andrew D. Barron©1/9/12
The square format seems ill-suited for this blog. I absolutely love the pictures from the Hasselblad, I just wish they were more economical.

A Hasselblad diptych! This moment got it’s own blog back then.
Humbug sunset, Andrew D. Barron©2/17/12

Here is a shot from the beach at Blacklock point from last February:
Blacklock sunset, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive