Thursday, May 3, 2012

More 35mm photos

I sent off the Leica yesterday! Two weeks, two weeks. I also sent in eleven rolls of film, which is all that has been accumulating so far. The film cameras are empty and I may even wait until these negatives return from the lab. I also sent back my Owle Bubo for a service inquiry.
Phil: iphone 3G + owle bubo + hipstamatic, Andrew D. Barron©6/12/11
ALM changed the name to mCAM and released a revamped shape, the mCAMlite. I changed the name to ‘Phil’.

I found this picture from June 2004 when I was working at the Osgood Mountains. The multi-event fault scarp of the range front is the low ridge that rises up to my head level in the photo. My work deduced four or five earthquakes, poorly constrained in time. The most recent event was about 20,000 years ago. Exposures in the trench reached back to a lacustrine cycle a over a half a million years ago. This long record was unusual in our work on alluvial fans in the northern basin and range.
Sun sets while trenching the Osgoods (photo by John Helms), Andrew D. Barron©6/19/04
Film photographs from four rolls of 35mm are still surfacing. I scan them all in, but don’t prepare them for sharing at once. So here we go. While I was in the Portland/Vancouver area, I tried quite a few types of film. Ektrachrome 100VS went in.
Birches in Vancouver WA, Andrew D. Barron©12/20/11
Shortly thereafter, I was in Curry county.
Shore pine along 101, Andrew D. Barron©12/22/12
I went on a hike and tried some b+w with a red filter. I also borrowed a very nice Nikkor 35mm f/2.0 lens. I could easily shoot with this lens as my normal. Most, if not all, of these Nikomat shots are with the wider lens.
Trees along the 333 trail, Andrew D. Barron©12/22/12
Gold Beach buildings, Andrew D. Barron©12/27/12
Some time (like three days) had passed between these frames; it’s neat when you get on a theme on accident. Upriver:
Lobster Creek bridge, Andrew D. Barron©12/30/12
Up next came some Velvia 50. I shared a two shots already from this roll of Velvia: Ocotillos and Long Beach sunset. Before I left Oregon:
Lobster Creek bridge over the Rogue, Andrew D. Barron©12/30/11
Velvia 50. I shot one roll of this stuff in my meterless-Konica autoreflex T. I had great looking photographs, but most weren’t exposed properly. Only two (of 36) have surfaced, seen in 12/13/11’s blog Double Shifts. I have much to learn about metering if I decide to use transparency film in the Hasselblad. The Nikomat has a TTL meter that I trust, and this roll was quite successful. TTL means through-the-lens, an option not available with the Hasselblad, nor do I have a spot meter. Like I said, I have a lot to learn about metering. In the brush along US199.
Clover along the highway, Andrew D. Barron©1/3/12
I sensed a nice moment for a ‘last road trip’ before the money ran out, or gas became prohibitively expensive. At that time, I did not know how long I was going to be able to use the 500c (I still don’t), so there was a kind of urgency to getting out in the desert. I shot a lot of pictures out there, and I’m sure one day I’ll get the the medium format versions. One thing I did a lot of was to shoot the same thing with every camera. This was useful, as there were surprises. For example, this shot turned out better in the Petri 7S than here on fresh Velvia in a metered TTL camera:
Upper Imperial formation up Split Mountain road, Andrew D. Barron©1/6/12
Though this was so beautiful in real life, it isn’t so great on film.
Cholla near Canebrake, Andrew D. Barron©1/8/12
Here is an digital infrared version:
Andrew D. Barron©1/8/12
So, we made our way from the southeastern corner of California back to Sacramento. Straight out of the desert, we dropped into San Diego. Petri 7S:
San Diego volleyball, Andrew D. Barron©1/9/12
I got to Chico a few days later. Here is a shot I’ve tried a few times, the first time being here. With the Petri, it came out soft and magenta, so it went to black and white:
Chico chairs, Andrew D. Barron©1/12/12
That covers most of what I’ve got to share. Well, I hiked out on this great trail for the second time. It is tough to get down to the beach, so I stayed perched on the slopes behind the marsh. Looking south towards Cape Sebastian:
On the 333 Trail, Andrew D. Barron©4/28/12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive