Wednesday, May 16, 2012

This week

It is that time of the week for my blog post. I got my Leica back already. The cla (clean-lube-adjust) on the body and two lenses plus new curtains and rangefinder prism doubled my price. But it’s a Leica. I am nearly done shooting a roll of Porta 400 in there and tested the Culminar 85mm ƒ2.8 lens. Both the stock collapsible Sumitar 50mm ƒ2.0 and the longer Culminar have a (far away) closest focus of about 3 feet. That seems like a mile away compared to the macro stuff I’ve done in the past.

On Thursday night I lost another tire. It was one I picked up in Susanville about a year ago. There wasn’t a used 205/60/r16 to be found on the south coast. I was a ways out, so I’m glad it gave up after it got me back from the woods. I was above Lobster Creek shooting my last roll of Velvia 50 in the Nikomat. Those film photographs will probably be fun, but I also brought along the infrared d5000 for some shots up there:
Last light lower Rogue, Andrew D. Barron©5/16/12
Well after sundown, Andrew D. Barron©5/16/12
I’ve temporarily mothballed the FT2 while I give the Leica a spin.
Temporary farewell:Nikomat FT2 at Sisters Rocks, Andrew D. Barron©5/8/12
I had a catastrophic computer failure. I didn’t lose any data, but I damn sure lost a useful machine, the Sony Vaio VGN-FE590 (not pictured). It had become an integral part of my work flow. Luckily,everything was safe on the hard drive. The best part about that computer was the docking station, providing additional USB, gigabit LAN, optical audio, display ports, and another hard drive. It was $250 back in 2006, but worth a quarter of that now. Here I am dealing with the multiple terabytes that life is for me in a huge computer I put together to be a digital audio workstation when I was chasing that dream.

I also figured out how to retrieve film leaders accidentally rolled up into the canister. I am still unsure if I want to put Provia in the Leica next. That’s why there is film in this picture.
Hard drive party, Andrew D. Barron©5/16/12
I am having a flashback to 2010 when I thought I was on my way to real dslr photography. I wanted to shoot raw, but the files were huge. I wanted fast firewire 800 to copy of the camera memory cards, but my 2007 MacBook didn’t have that. The expensive 32gig SD card dropped to 1/4 of what I paid for it in 2010. My dslr became obsolete in 4 months. Digital photography technology moves at a pace that exceeds human need. Price drops and the planned obsolescence really highlights this for me. I try to keep up with things out there still. There have been about three notable cycles since I picked up my first dslr only two summers ago. Yet, looking at some of the 8x10 prints from my 5mp Sony p&s, I just don’t see want for much more. The world of Nikon dslrs that I stumbled into was very educational. The way things turned out, I sidestepped the rat race entirely. I would have been better off with a d90 body, but I likely would not have converted it to infrared, a type of photography I am quite fond of. Only a year ago I was seeking a suitable small camera, usually with a the word enthusiast somewhere in the description. I wanted a fully manual, large sensor camera. I tried a Nikon p6000 and a Lumix LX5. I sold the LX5 even though I liked it better. The P6000 was an early gps-enabled camera, and has gone through two cycles (P7000, P7100) and is probably approaching the third soon.

The funny thing is that I found a very nice fully manual large sensor enthusiast camera. A Leica IIIf.
Leica IIIf, Andrew D. Barron©5/16/12
The longer lens requires different viewfinder. The amazing thing to me is, well, how on earth do you find focus? I tested out the lens by using a tape measure! How else would you do it?
Leica IIIf with Culminar 85mm ƒ2.8 and Walz finder, Andrew D. Barron©5/15/12
I also returned my Epson V330. It is a good scanner for the money, but I really would like to scan my 120 negatives. I am now considering a refurbished Epson V500.

On a random adventure in Madera, CA in January, I unearthed a 2007-expired disposable camera. I don’t have an answer to the question why would I shoot with a disposable camera when I have a Hasselblad and a nice 35mm slr. Here are two photos taken in Oregon with it:
Headed up the Humbug trail with a disposable camera, Andrew D. Barron©2012
Hubbard Mound from Otter Point with a disposable camera, Andrew D. Barron©2012
Next up, I have some shots from the Nikomat FT2 with Ektar 100.
Old Coast Road, Andrew D. Barron©4/27/12
Azaleas? and trees, Andrew D. Barron©4/27/12
New growth, 333 trail, Andrew D. Barron©4/27/12
Here is my nod to taking proper notes! The original exif.
The original exit, Andrew D. Barron©4/27/12
Last but not least, some frames from the roll before that Ektar, another roll of expired Tri-X400.
The train doesn't stop here anymore, Andrew D. Barron©4/7/12

With the grain, Andrew D. Barron©4/12
Here is something different. I have’t really shot this camera into the sun. It was a nice sunset walk at the mouth of Greggs Creek. When I adjusted the levels the sun’s disc became strange. This image needs another round of editing, but here it is. The black and white sunset:
The black and white sunset, Andrew D. Barron©4/12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive