Thursday, June 21, 2012

Festival I

I don’t seem to have much time these days. Here are some photos from the Leica IIIf. I am not fond of the lab scans, but it’s convenient.
Nesika gumballs, Andrew D. Barron ©5/x/12

One afternoon in Gold Beach last month, I taught myself Bill Monroe’s Old Dangerfield. Though it isn’t quite right, it went along fine with the one person who knows that tune. Also had a great time playing Stoney Lonesome, which I recently heard in some random movie dialog is a slang term for prison. A fiddler named Gail helped me break through somewhat in the B section after these six years.

I found out that my style of wearing a cowboy had is called “high and tight” and people like to talk about it. If I could care less, I would.

The first bluegrass I ever heard was at the Laxson Auditorium in Chico, 1993. It was called the Masters of the Banjo, and was an evening of many different types of banjo. The promotional CD was the only bluegrass I had for ten years or so. You can pick up very inexpensive copies at Amazon. Sweet Fern and Nobody’s Love Is Like Mine were sang by Laurie Lewis and Dudley Connell. In about 1999, I was streaming high quality mp3 broadcast of KPIG, and there I heard a smashing version of Chuck Berry’s Nadine. This was the early days, so I used Napster to download that version, done by the Seldom Scene and sang by none other than Dudley.

That track made it’s way onto several of my mix driving mix CDs back in those days. I have probably written elsewhere about how I went to a bluegrass jam in Mountain View, was sharply critiqued by Ken T., It was a lesson well taken, and one that I (more politely) give to guitar players who have not played bluegrass.

When I first got into bluegrass I was a documentary-holic, as well as video lessons from Homespuntapes. In the 1991 film High Lonesome, there is quite a lot of footage of the Seldom Scene when the great John Duffey was still alive. An early mainstay for me was a bootleg server called BluegrassBox, long since defunct. I listened to many Seldom Scene concerts when I first got started. Our band Straight Ahead Bluegrass was steeped in traditional bluegrass, with our main influences being Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, Jimmy Martin, mixed with early Seldom Scene and Hot Rize.

A great song we have always done is called Wait A Minute. When I returned from Nashville, I sold an electric mandolin on craigslist. The guy that bought it was a musician and later we got together to pick some. He put on Herb Pederson's album, and there I heard on vinyl for the first time, the original. So, Herb Pederson is fronting a new band, called Loafer's Glory. With most of best and oldest friends, we were treated to Herb singing his classic song backed by the amazing vocals of the Seldom Scene.

I went to the office for a couple of days.
Arlington, Reno, Andrew D. Barron ©6/x/12
Reno deli, Andrew D. Barron ©6/x/12
Then I did a photo shoot of a model.
Old Barn, Andrew D. Barron ©6/x/12
This was across the street from our shoot location.
Rusty mailbox, Andrew D. Barron ©6/x/12
Then I went to a bluegrass festival for a week.
Grass Valley camp, Andrew D. Barron ©6/x/12
It was one of the best.
Mikki gets ready for her guest spot, Andrew D. Barron ©6/x/12
In the middle, I swapped out to get my gramma’s 1991 Chrystler Mini van for a while. I am still getting used to major difference other drivers treat an old blue van. I saw Darrell Scott at the Sierra Nevada big room with my mom. Then it was back to the festival.
Foghorn Stringband, Andrew D. Barron ©6/x/12
Joseph and me, Andrew D. Barron ©6/x/12
The Chad, Andrew D. Barron ©6/x/12
Cleek Schrey of Bigfoot, Andrew D. Barron ©6/x/12
These guys are pretty good festival friends, Cyrill and Barry.
Cyrill and Barry, Andrew D. Barron ©6/x/12
After it was all over, Barry and I enjoyed a very nice Italian meal in town. In three years, we have not played music together, but always have great conversations. He is a swell guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive