Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence?

Like now, a year ago I was in Reno. For the holiday, I went with some friends to Sand Harbor at Lake Tahoe, (this blog).

I find myself an un-proud UNR alumni. The Mackay School of Mines was a very good education and my professors were mostly outstanding. It has everything to do with me arriving here in 2002 with a very specific goal and leaving without it. It has taken a lot of time to gain perspective about the wonderful things that began to happen during that time. Most prominent was the acceleration of my musical pursuits. I have something like 10 or 15 bandmates in Reno. (See that blog). It’s been fun to say, “Hey, let’s start a band!” I wonder how serious I am. I did an open mic last Saturday. It went okay, but the crowd was very thin (I went last). I met a guy who had the same rare pickup system I have in a guitar I don’t play, the Trance Amulet. His name was Lenny and he played a sweet Martin parlor guitar. In early August I plan to have my Santa Cruz D model repaired if possible.

resurrected Santa Cruz D model, Andrew D. Barron ©1/30/11Santa Cruz D model #2987, Andrew D. Barron ©1/30/11
Trance Audio stereo piezo pickups in Santa Cruz D model, Andrew D. Barron ©1/30/11Trance Audio stereo piezo pickups in Santa Cruz D model, Andrew D. Barron ©1/30/11

As it was, I played my HD28 and it was not eq’d properly at all. Shaving off the bass to prevent feedback is one thing. As it was, I would have been better to play without amplification.


I am very busy with an office jobby-job and some very cool things have been happening. I have drifted a little far from photography. Even though I anticipated this, I am still having a tough time with not shooting daily. One thing about Reno is that the light is harsh for most of the day. My only ideas so far is to shoot a series of vintage motels. I’ve been scouting locations since I arrived. That will probably be with the Leica IIIf on Ektar100. The window of good light is very narrow, so I will have to be considerably more together than I have been to date.

I live in a completely different part of this metropolis and near the office. Here’s some shots from this morning, July the 4th.
South Reno, Andrew D. Barron ©7/4/12
South Reno, Andrew D. Barron ©7/4/12
Zooming a little. I used to live near the base of Peavine Peak in the distance (and to the left). It is
South Reno, Andrew D. Barron ©7/4/12
This is where the sun sets:
South Reno, Andrew D. Barron ©6/28/12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive