Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Instant film adventures

I jumped the gun a little last post because I wanted to get my first successful shot from a pack film negative recovery. For FP3000B, all this means is that you scan the normally discarded peel-off part of the film on the scanner after it dries. Then invert the image and the pixels (flip horizontal) so that is not a mirror image of the print.

Today I am posting more of the shots from last week traveling from Caspar, CA to Reno.
Flowers, old fence, Caspar, CA, Andrew D. Barron©9/16/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 4 shot 2]
The old Reno arch in Willits, CA. It was about this time that I started to guess that the film was expired or poorly stored somewhere before me.
The old Reno arch in Willits, CA, Andrew D. Barron©9/16/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 4 shot 4]
I had a surprise visit from a dear friend who now lives in Alaska.
Richie in Reno, Andrew D. Barron©9/17/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 4 shot 6]
The next day I had a nice breakfast with this guy, another good friend. He has an amazingly restored ‘66 Chevelle.
Chad in Reno, Andrew D. Barron©9/18/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 4 shot 7]
After this shot I lost two frames when the pack of film jammed; the tabs got messed up. I was after the following shot of the Alturas Bar next to Big Ed’s on 4th street. But by the time I went out for the third time, my framing wasn’t as careful and I missed the Lucky Motel sign as planned.
4th Street Reno, Andrew D. Barron©9/18/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 4 shot 10]
When I scanned the image was about the time I checked on the tour schedule of the band I seem to be in again. And I found this, shot at the Lucky Motel.


I have been following the progress of the Impossible Project, an amazing effort to reconstruct Polaroid integral film since 2010 or so. There are some wonderful interviews and discussion in Film Photography Podcast episodes, particularly one with Florian Kaps. I started to pick up integral film polaroids when I could. The SX-70 was the camera that nearly got me an appointment at the USGS (from a certain point of view). In the end, I have a number of later model Polaroids and finally having some disposable income, I splurged for some of the pricey medium. I put it in my Polaroid Spectra with the after-market frog tongue (film cover), and here is what I got with PZ Cool Color Shade 680:
Office trailer, Andrew D. Barron©9/19/12 [Polaroid Spectra with sonar focusing:Pack 1 shot 1, PZ Cool Color Shade 680]
Pinion pine close up, Andrew D. Barron©9/19/12 [Polaroid Spectra with sonar focusing:Pack 1 shot 2, PZ Cool Color Shade 680]
I was glad to support the FPP by getting the film and inexpensive shipping. Check out the FPP store.

On Thursday, I loaded up some black and white pack film (FP300B from Fuji) and went to a place close to my office. There I fell in love with black and white photographs from these old Automatic Land Cameras!
Baby toys and shotgun shells, Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©9/20/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 5 shot 2 (FP3000B)]
Above, the scanned negative was not flipped; the toy was on the right. The positive print was okay, but this grainer version is closer to my intended vision.
Fence and boulders near Barron Way, Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©9/20/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 5 shot 2 (FP3000B)]
Here is how the negative turned out:
Fence at sunset, Barron Way, Reno, Andrew D. Barron©9/20/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 5 shot 3, reclaimed negative, FP3000B]
Positive:
Powerlines near Barron Way, Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©9/20/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 5 shot 2 (FP3000B)]
Reclaimed negative:
Powerlines near Barron Way, Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©9/20/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 5 shot 2 (FP3000B)]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive