Monday, September 10, 2012

Old Is New

Corporate office guy fixed his 45 year old Polaroid (again), Andrew D. Barron©9/6/12 [macbook camera]
This blog will feature instant film photographs from a Polaroid Land Camera 320. I finally had some success with a pack film camera and shot two packs of FP100C, the instant film made by Fuji, readily available for your hungry old Polaroid. (More about the 320 here [12.11.10] and here [5.28.12]). I like the white border on the prints, but prefer them cropped for the scanned versions.

Greetings! I have been working much and playing music shows each weekend. The bluegrass buddies played an acoustic show in Carson City on 8/12. It was great to ride again as Straight Ahead Bluegrass Band again. Our good friend Dwayne of the Bourgeois Gypsies joined on the doghouse bass. We did not, however, wear our white cowboy suits. Last weekend I had a reunion with my old friends of my first bluegrass band, The Back 40, and we played a private party that was impressive. It was great to be stage with them all again.


These last two Sundays, I’ve played my solo thing at the Ponderosa Saloon in Virginia City. There is always something going on there. It’s a neat place.
Bluegrass & luau, Andrew D. Barron©8/26/12 [Sony DSC-H1:1182]

Corporate office guy fixed his 45 year old Polaroid (again) Andrew D. Barron©9/6/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 1 shot 1]
There are exciting things happening. Because I love playing electric bass I took it up to Portland thinking that it would be a great way to break into that scene. But I’ve only played it a few times here and there. Two summers ago I did a photo tribute to it.
Fender Highway 1 Jazz Bass
At some point this summer I brought my Portland stuff to Reno, effectively throwing in the towel to a relocation up there (for now). In my stuff was the Land Camera 320, which finally did some nice work for me.
Outside the office Andrew D. Barron©9/6/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 1 shot 2]
During the Grass Valley festival I left to see Darrell Scott with my mom a ways away in Chico. I fetched my fancy cowboy clothes out of storage since I thought Reno would be a good place to list them on Craigslist. When I got back to festival I had a lot on my mind and stayed up late playing music. The folks I was jamming with knew very little of me or my past and it sounded like a joke. It does sound kind of funny, “I’ve got a car full of cowboy clothes I plan to sell in Reno.”

Whatever it sounded like, it was true. Kinda tells me that I am pretty good at compartmentalizing my music. Bluegrassers tend to be purists about it, and I am too. But I’ve been playing country music much longer. In a curious twist of fate, my old friends in Hellbound Glory were in need of a bass player.
South Reno clouds Andrew D. Barron©9/6/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 1 shot 4]
Two days later I put the bass rig together and played with Leroy and Rico for a show in Pioneer, CA, this last Friday night. It was the first time I played bass in that kind of setting since my last show with them before I moved to Kentucky five years ago. And I still had those cowboy show clothes to put on. Oh the polyester. My hat is off to the bass strings that still sounded fine: purchased in May of 2007, the durability of DR flat wound strings amazed to me.

South Reno clouds Andrew D. Barron©9/6/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 1 shot 5]
The show went well, especially considering how long I had been away from the band. It was fun to be playing with Leroy again, and definitely fun to be making those loud, low notes.
Corporate office guy fixed his 45 year old Polaroid (again) Andrew D. Barron©9/6/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 1 shot 7]
Stay tuned for scans from the next pack of Polaroids from the drive back across Highway 88!

I’m set to play bass next weekend at the Blue Lamp in Sacto on Friday, and on the California coast at the Caspar Inn on Saturday. Interferes with my plans for the Plymouth bluegrass festival, but I will certainly try to make an effort to attend.
Manzanita in Pioneer, CA Andrew D. Barron©9/7/12 [Land Camera 320:Pack 1 shot 9]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive