Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Holly Jolly

I watched the Hobbit again on Christmas, this time in 3D. I guess I am just not a fan of 3D. I definitely prefer the old way when it comes to watching moves in the theater, so would like to see it on projected 35mm film print, but all of the theaters here were digital projection. In the previews they mentioned screening a restored version of 2001:A Space Oddyssey pretty soon. I will try to remember to go.

I never got around to getting chains for my car; try finding them on Christmas day! So I was lucky that I could borrow a big dodge truck for our show at the Crystal Bay club last night. Yes, I spent the holiday night playing in a bar during a snow storm.
Christmas at the Crystal Bay, Andrew D. Barron©12/25/12 [PRO 645 for iphone]
I am flowing along, trying to find some photographic goals for the new year. The Hasselblad 500c/m will likely be my go-to camera this year. I am really satisfied with my cameras after this long search that a few of you have kept up with. If I want instant film, I got it. If I want 35mm, I got it. If I wanted to shoot some 110 film, it would be so much easier in 2013 than 2010, with all kinds of film and a new film holder from lomography. But I probably won’t. See the selection of 110 film from the good folks at the Film Photography Project store. They are also my favorite place to get Impossible project film for my Polaroids. Their shipping rates and speeds are very very good.

I am not really into the latest and greatest in the dslr world and with smaller cameras, but try to keep up and see what is going on. The phone camera will continue to supplant the small, dedicated camera. I seriously doubted that would happen for me, but it seems to with the 4S. Some days I miss my Lumix LX5, a great camera without a successor to date. Occasionally I muse that a Sony NEX would be cool to use, especially when fitted with my Leica screw mount lenses. Maybe NEX5r + 16mm ƒ2.8 + uwa adapter = $1,050. Maybe not.

I look forward to trying new films in the new year, though the selection is thinning. A quick search at B&H gives some idea. I would love to shoot more chrome film in 120 format, but probably won’t because of the cost of processing.

So as of right now, the list of active use cameras is pretty long: 1) Hasselblad 500c/m, 2) Leica IIIf, 3) Nikomat FT2, Polaroids: 4)Spectra, 5) Sun 660, and 6) Land Camera 100. My go-to instant film camera is the 7) Fuji Instax 210 still. There is a form fit case to protect it, but can’t find a reliable place to order it. 8) My iphone 4S will continue to get a lot of use, especially the 645 PRO app. Lastly, my infrared 9) D5000. I got real excited tonight as I ordered an adapter for the D5000 that will mount Leica M39 lenses I have (a 50mm and an 80mm). One can only test out the infrared response of a given lens by shooting through it. Yup, nine freaking cameras. More than any normal person needs. And there’s the joke. . .

2013 may be the year of processing my own black and white film. However, the trouble for me with b+w film is that I have so much fun shooting my infrared converted D5000 (pretty much limited to black and white). First off, from a few weeks ago in Coloma:
The onliest leaf, Andrew D. Barron©12/5/12 [Infrared converted D5000]
Snow day in South Reno, Andrew D. Barron©12/23/12 [Infrared converted D5000]
Five shot mosaic from when the first wave of the snow storm came on the 23rd:
Snow day in South Reno, Andrew D. Barron©12/23/12 [Infrared converted D5000]
The above shot would look awesome printed in true black and white from Digital Silver Imagining, I’m quite sure. Those were the guys that got me inspired to try out the IR conversion.

We got back down from the Lake and drove through an eerily lit, eerily awake 4a.m. Reno. I got up after noon today, made some coffee and then shot some infrared in the yard.
Day after, snow on sage, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/12 [Infrared converted D5000]
Day after, snow on pine, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/12 [Infrared converted D5000]
Day after, snowy fence, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/12 [Infrared converted D5000]
The driveway, Andrew D. Barron©12/26/12 [Infrared converted D5000]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive