Friday, January 25, 2013

Fuji Reala 100

I picked up a roll of film at 6pm tonight. I have been sitting here working with it since then. I don’t think I will get to any more finished scans tonight, so I will just put these up. This roll is using my newly repaired A12 back. It is the first time I’ve used Fuji film in 120. I picked up a 5 pack of Reala 100. It scans in quite a bit different than the Kodak films I’ve been using. Different, but also good. Last week at Gordon’s Photo, where I get my film processed, they happened to have a 120mm Zeiss Planar ƒ5.6 in the back. The price was right, so to speak. Having another lens doesn’t help me get through a roll of 120 any more quickly though. I put this back on a few weeks back and went to one of my favorite breakfast joints called Big Ed’s. These are street scenes nearby:
Lucky Motel, Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©January 2013 [Hasselblad 500c/m; Planar 80mƒ2.8, Fuji Reala 100 frame 2]
I am still very much getting used to a street style handheld with the Hasselblad. It isn’t easy to shoot this camera quickly, or rather, do it well. There are often danged crooked compositions. Oh well. I really didn’t want to fight too much with this image. The color balance of the sky is a mess.
Alturas Bar, Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©January 2013 [Hasselblad 500c/m; Planar 80mƒ2.8, Fuji Reala 100 frame 3]
This was one of those things that looked like a photograph to me.
Parking lot sycamore, south Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©January 2013 [Hasselblad 500c/m; Planar 80mƒ2.8, Fuji Reala 100 frame 4]
On Monday, I went for a late lunch (yeah late, as in just before sunset). I really didn’t feel like the sub sandwich, so I turned around to leave and saw this photograph. So I went to fetch cameras.

The Conversation
Two empty chairs, south Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©1/21/13 [Fujifilm Instax 210, silver edition]
For this shot, what caught my eye was the warm illusion of the reflected sunlight on that certainly frigid metal chair. They are sitting in snow that fell maybe 5 or 6 days ago. No one has sat here, and no one has stolen them. Catching the cars dancing in between the chair backs in dark/black and light/white is the kind of thing I love love about photography. The title occurred before I shot it; as if the lonely, cold, unmoved chairs were longing to accompany some, uh, company. The Conversation is also the title of a Fracis Ford Copolla movie with Gene Hackman, a wonderful and highly regarded 70’s film.

The 120mm lens is quite long. From the same spot with the Hasselblad:
Two empty chairs, south Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©1/21/13 [Hasselblad 500c/m; Planar 120mm ƒ5.6, Fuji Reala 100 frame 6]
Zeiss Planar 120mm ƒ5.6 for Hasselblad #3336433 [iphone 4S, Hipsta 261]

See, it is super long! Definitely like a telephoto. I was up against a post, so I couldn’t back up. I did manage to get the yellow light in that frame though. I almost went for fish and chips, but considering traffic and time, I got the sandwich anyway.

That was Monday. Tuesday was a bit of grind for work. Wednesday. Okay, there is a classic movie series being shown at the local theater. I don’t understand their rationale for what films, but I can see why they screen them for only one day. I went to the matinee of To Catch A Thief. There were four older ladies and me. I am not sure how to interpret that. How about older ladies have good taste in movies? Anyway it was fantastic to immerse in such a movie. It’s a Hitchcock film with Carey Grant and Grace Kelley set in the south of France. I had not seen it before. It definitely had me thinking about international travel and photography, which becomes more of a reality every week that I stay employed! France or Spain? or England? Or those Scandanavian countries?

Getting out of the theater at about 4, I had some time to shoot. Colors tend to go wacky when I shoot this camera into the sun, hence the black and white treatment. You can make out the ski runs on Mount Rose (the peak on the left).
South Reno sunset, Andrew D. Barron©1/23/13 [Hasselblad 500c/m; Planar 80mƒ2.8, Fuji Reala 100 frame 9]
South Reno sunset, Andrew D. Barron©1/23/13 [Hasselblad 500c/m; Planar 80mƒ2.8, Fuji Reala 100 frame 9]
The shot above is looking towards the snow covered foothills; the neighborhood where I have been living since June. This is the same spot and the same excavator presented earlier on Impossible Color Protection film (see it here). They tore down the old house months ago now, and this thing hasn’t moved since. The out of focus elements look really cool with this lens, even it’s pairs of contrails, street lights and lenticular clouds.
The bucket, south Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©1/21/13 [Hasselblad 500c/m; Planar 120mm ƒ5.6, Fuji Reala 100 frame 12]
So that is about how it goes in a week. I am lucky if I can get through a roll of 120 film, process it, and get some quick scans up. I hope I can keep it up; it seems so modest compared to my previous efforts. I also have some 35mm from the Leica to get through. Something about the 12 frame rolls of 120 makes them more manageable.

Closing thoughts. I love: the 120mm lens, Fuji Reala 100, and the Instax 210. Those chairs are making me crave an old fashioned donut from the coffee shop where they sit.

I’ve been thinking about ways to get out and shoot more. I may mix my schedule up a little and also might start feeling out the Reno film photographer scene and see who is doing what in these parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive