Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Reno and the Land Camera

Hasselblad on Fourth Street, Reno.
Sandman Motel, 4th street Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©1/25/13 [Hasselblad 500c/m; Planar 120mm ƒ5.6, Fuji Reala 100 frame 2]
Sandman Motel, 4th street Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©1/25/13 [Hasselblad 500c/m; Planar 120mm ƒ5.6, Fuji Reala 100 frame 1]
It has been a quiet week. I am still figuring out what I want to do here in Reno. Yes, even after all of these months. This is outside of a chain brewery:
Landscaping, south reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©1/30/13 [iphone 4s, 645Pro]
Sometimes you feel like this:
Costco carts, Sparks, NV, Andrew D. Barron©1/30/13 [iphone 4s, 645Pro]
As in one of million shopping carts. But then there is always this counterpoint. A cup of fresh Peets Blend 101 on a herringbone Martin guitar coaster and a beat to hell 1947 Argus C3:
Coffee and camera, Andrew D. Barron©2/1/13 [iphone 4s, Hipstamatic 261]
This camera was picked up only a few days before I left Gold Beach in June. I have a couple of shots of it propped precariously over the Rogue on the edge of the Patterson Bridge. I may add them here later. I usually have to find out later if a thrift store find was worth it. In this case, the $5 camera is worth just about that. And similar to the shopping carts, it is one of millions floating around.

The Polaroid 450 is pretty much a cross between a 100 and a 330. I like it fine, though the images look much like the 330’s. I wonder if the battery is dying, because I have it set at ASA150, and the exposure dial nearly all the way to lighten. Well, not at first. At first, at ASA75 and the dial in the middle. There is usually a process of finding out where the sweet spot is using any different automatic Land Camera.

My guitar player buddy Jim and I met for pizza near my house. It was getting dark so we asked the guy if we could play inside. So we played some bluegrass and people were applauding and into it. A woman approached us who owns a bookstore and offered us a gig there so were going to follow up with a bluegrass brother duet thing in the near future.
Pizza place and Mount Rose sunset, Andrew D. Barron©2/1/13 [Polaroid 450: FP100C]
I wandered out on Saturday. I saw a sign that I thought would look neat on long exposure illuminated by headlights.
Roscoe's BBQ, Andrew D. Barron©2/2/13 [Polaroid 450: FP100C]
Then I fumbled the next pack of film when I loaded it. Shredded the dark slide, then ripped off the first tab. I lost three frames. That seems to be the way it goes with pack film at times. If only I were more patient and it wasn’t dark, there would be hope of saving a pack that gets off on the wrong foot. I am going to throw in a frame from last week first. Mini-golf dragon. Raaawwrrrr!
Mini-golf dragon, Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©1/25/13 [Hasselblad 500c/m; Planar 120mm ƒ5.6, Fuji Reala 100 frame 7]
This is back at Roscoe's Oakland-style BBQ, which did not fare well in Reno (from reading Yelp reviews)and closed some time in 2012. It is always questionable if meat animals should be depicted with a character. Seems like I recall a commercial done in bad taste; something about chickens. Well, this ain’t so bad, and I like the way if goes with the dragons.
Roscoe's BBQ, Andrew D. Barron©2/2/13 [Polaroid 450: FP100C]
I went out on the big game day to figure out the 450. This is what I was getting set to small aperture, asa75, max lighten.
Burned up fence, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/13 [Polaroid 450: FP100C]
Near the old house that is gone, there is a small brick driveway marker. I was going for a shallow depth of field, nearly into the sun. The result is okay, but the scale is all thrown off. I had the camera set to closest focus and laid down in the dirt. The brick wall is only inches tall, and maybe 9 inches wide.
Driveway bricks, south reno, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/13 [Polaroid 450: FP100C]
Nearby, there is an engineered channel that goes under the highway to Virginia City. The light was nice, so I spent an hour or so shooting with the Hasselblad. On the way out, I saw this with the iphone:
Channel veg, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/13 [iphone 4s, Hipstamatic 261]
After, I went out to Barron Way and Reno Corporate drive. There is a good 45 minute walk that I knew I could handle in the dark. Here is the 450 on a tripod while I held the button for what seemed like 30 seconds. I have noticed with pack film cameras you can get a decent long exposure even without a remote trigger (tripod is necessary). I would still like to find one though.
Uphill powerlines, Huffaker Hills, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/13 [Polaroid 450: FP100C]
One frustrating thing about the iphone is the fixed wide aperture camera makes for disorienting, ‘everything in focus’ images. This looks across a small ravine, where the critter trails fork into this branch-like pattern on the uphill slope.
Channel veg, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/13 [iphone 4s, Hipstamatic 261]
So on the one hand, frustrated by the iphone, then a success. It like many other point and shoot cameras in this regard: inconsistent. There were some nice crepuscular rays that night.
Crepuscular rays over the Sierras above reno, Andrew D. Barron©2/3/13 [iphone 4s, 645 PRO]
It is a neat sunset view of Reno from this spot. Some time ago, I did a bokeh test there with the Sumittar ƒ2 on the Leica IIIf:
After sunset above Reno, Andrew D. Barron©8/9/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive