Monday, May 6, 2013

Kentucky Derby

At Chapel, Kentucky Derby Day, 5/4/13Near the middle of April I agreed to play a bluegrass show in a downtown bar as a warmup for the Kentucky Derby. The only trouble was I didn’t have a band. A few days later I was rehearsing with bluegrass band we had just formed. I switched to guitar, singing and fronting a talented group of musicians. This is the only photograph I’ve been able to get so far.

Mike on the mandolin, Linda on bass, Joseph off the edge on banjo. John was playing fiddle on the left.

I guess I want to say something about my majorly diminished blogging efforts. I keep thinking I will post some of the many photographs I’ve shot, but in the end, I don’t seem to get around to it. I shoot very little besides the phone camera, but do hope to get back to the Hasselblad and the Leica soon. It seems that I don’t even get to the phone pictures. It has become clear that with my return to GIS work, my tolerance for sitting at the computer has gone down. I have avoided saying it, but I find this area uninspiring for photography. What this place has been great for of course is playing music. I am out doing bluegrass several times a week. Another interesting thing, is that it seems music takes up the space where I felt the impulse to photograph. I’ve had a gusto return to bluegrass since the new year, and have found my photography eyes a bit lackluster. I’m confident that when I’m ready to shoot a bunch more, I will do just that.

Prior to the show last Sunday, I had been staying in Carson City. I was housesitting and taking care of some pets. It was a relaxing vacation. One day a tree by a substation caught my eye. In the clouds above the tree, I timed a jet flying through the frame. It sure is hard to make out on the instax print below.
Substation tree, Carson City, NV, Andrew D. Barron©4/24/13 [Fuji Instax 210]
I even got out the infrared dslr, forgetting how easily it produces lens flares.
Substation tree, Carson City, NV, Andrew D. Barron©4/24/13 [infrared converted d5000]

I have quite a lot of film that is just sitting unscanned, including my trip to Seattle in February.

Back in February, I blasted through a whole roll when the light broke over the freeway, where I spotted some BMX dirt jumping sets. I have been to sick of the computer to do a lot of scanning lately. Here are three from that roll from February 15th. Since the shots are mostly throwaway or of garbage, I did almost no cleanup on dust and specks.
Behind Costco, Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©2/15/13 [Hasselblad 500c/m, Portra 400]
Behind Costco, Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©2/15/13 [Hasselblad 500c/m, Portra 400]
Behind Costco, Reno, NV, Andrew D. Barron©2/15/13 [Hasselblad 500c/m, Portra 400]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive