Friday, August 23, 2013

Car Show

The dang bridge again. This time I shot straight overhead out of a convertible Mazda Miata.
Bridge over the Ohio, Henderson KY, Andrew D. Barron©8/22/13 [iPhone 4s;Hipstamatic]
This one is a different one; it’s for trains only.
Train bridge over the Ohio, Henderson KY, Andrew D. Barron©8/22/13 [iPhone 4s;Hipstamatic]
We had dinner on the Ohio river front.
Ohio riverfront, Henderson KY, Andrew D. Barron©8/22/13 [iPhone 4s;Hipstamatic]
The famous John James Audubon is a beloved historical figure here in Henderson. His first enterprise was a mill, which didn’t turn out well. He ended up in debtors prison, and if I’m not mistaken, he moved elsewhere to begin his famous career as and ornithologist and painter of birds.
Audubon’s mill stone, Henderson KY, Andrew D. Barron©8/22/13 [iPhone 4s;Hipstamatic]
Before noon I was surprised to be headed once again to Evansville. This time it was for a car show called the Frog Follies, which caters to pre-1949 hot rods. It was mostly just hot as hell.
61 Impala, Evansville, IN, Andrew D. Barron©8/23/13 [iPhone 4s;Hipstamatic]
The battery life in my iphone is pretty terrible, and in the bright sun, I was having a tough time seeing the screen. Shooting blind like that, I framed most of the car shots poorly. But when I went in close, things are more reliable for me (since they are abstractions anyway).
Schwinn Hollywood, Evansville, IN, Andrew D. Barron©8/23/13 [iPhone 4s;Hipstamatic]
The magneto mechanism in this old Ford is something I never really knew about before today. It is a precursor to a distributor. Those three pedals all next to each other probably made for tough driving (or fancy footwork). Left pedal = low to high gear, middle = reverse, right pedal = brake.
Model T Ford, Evansville, IN, Andrew D. Barron©8/23/13 [iPhone 4s;Hipstamatic]
1927 Bugatti, Type 35-B, Evansville, IN, Andrew D. Barron©8/23/13 [iPhone 4s;Hipstamatic]
In the furthest part of the vendor area these remnants were looming, and barely providing shade in the noontime sun.
Bunkers, Evansville, IN, Andrew D. Barron©8/23/13 [iPhone 4s;Hipstamatic]
I once had a set of valve covers that I painted just like this. I never finished that ’65 Imapala SS. I often think of all I learned about working on old Chevys in my 13th summer. Later in my freshman year, we learned to write business letters, and I wrote to the Weiand company to verify my valve covers. As I recall, I wasn’t sure there were that brand, but the did send me a bunch of stickers.
Weiand valve covers and center dump manifold, Evansville, IN, Andrew D. Barron©8/23/13 [iPhone 4s;Hipstamatic]
It was just so durn hot that I gave up shooting. There were thousands of cool cars like this. But all I really wanted was a cold beer (which isn’t served anywhere). Here you can see how I missed the framing. The sad truth was that I was wore out before I even got to the official hot rod section.
Cool truck, Evansville, IN, Andrew D. Barron©8/23/13 [iPhone 4s;Hipstamatic]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive